Welcome!

Welcome to the ever-growing collection of some of the funniest and most insightful statements ever spoken by a kid -- by OUR kid :)!

Monday, September 22, 2008

The Negotiator

About a hundred times a week, B and I say to one another... "Wouldn't it be nice if we could capture all the techniques she uses to try to negotiate with us on every single directive we give her?" Yeah... the content could FILL another one of those "Get what you want out of life" books.

So, here's one from tonight... K was taking a bath:

Me: OK, Babe, it's time to wash your hair.
K: No, Mom, I don't want to!
Me: Well, we're going to. SO, who do you want to do your hair?
K: Well... let's see... Well, Daddy is faster. So, I think I want Daddy to do it.

This is a subtle version of our usual negotation. A more common example would go something like this:

B: Kirienne, stay in your seat while we are eating our dinner, or no dessert
K: But, Daddy, I HAVE to get up and give you a hug and kiss. [Kisses Daddy, sits again, gets up again]
B: Kirienne, I told you to stay in your seat or no dessert. So, no dessert for you.
K: [extreme theatrics ensue - crying, bemoaning, angling...]
B: OK, go take a time out on the stairs
K: But I don't WANT to!
B: Go now.
K: No, Daddy, no. I am not going to do that!
B: You're going to do that or you're going to get punished. No book tonight.
K: OK, I'll go, I'll go...
B: Sit there on that step
K: NO, DADDY. I am NOT going to sit on that step.
B: You are in a time out. You are being punished. Sit on that step or NO book tonight.
K: I won't sit on that step. I WILL sit on this step, though!
B: No, you site where we told you to sit for your time out.
K: How about if I sit on THIS other step?

... and on it goes ....

You get the idea...

No comments: